LDS Temple Endowment Shows Up in the Pages of the Book of Mormon

The Prophet Nephi tells us in 1Nephi, chapter 1, verse1: 

“I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.”

The key components of the LDS temple endowment can be found throughout the Book of Mormon. Note: some links have multiple chapters that are not part of the link. (1 Nephi 1, 1 Nephi 11-15, 2 Nephi 2, Mosiah 2-5, Alma 9-13, 3 Nephi 7-27, Ether 3, etc.). So it is inaccurate to state that Joseph copied the endowment from the Masonic rite.

LDS scholar, Eugene Seaich also tells how there are not only scattered fragments of the temple endowment in many traditions but how they also show up in the pages of the Book of Mormon. He explains how,
"...there are already scattered passages in the Book of Mormon (1830) which suggest the existence of a fuller and more mature Priesthood order, specifically referred to as the "Holy Order of the Son of God" (Alma 13). In these scattered passages we repeatedly encounter figures of speech which betray surprising knowledge on the part of their authors of what was yet to be revealed to Joseph Smith:
"Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands..." (1 Nephi 21:16).

"...I have beheld his glory and am encircled about eternally in the arms of his love." (2 Nephi 1:15).

"O Lord, wilt thou encircle me about in the robe of thy righteousness..." (2 Nephi 4:33).

"Who so knocketh, to him will he open..." (2 Nephi 9:42).

"...I pray the God of my salvation that he will view me with his all-searching eye...(and) witness that I shook your iniquities from my soul, and that I stand before him, and am rid of your blood." (2 Nephi 9:44).

"We are willing to enter into a covenant with our God to do his will...in all things that he shall command...that we not bring upon ourselves a never-ending torment..." (Mosiah 5:5).

"...It is given unto many to know the mysteries of God; nevertheless they are under a strict command that they shall not impart only according to that portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men..." (Alma 12:9).

"...Because of our being wanderers in a strange land..." (Alma 13:23).

"...He put forth his hand, and raised the king from the earth, and said unto him, Stand. And he stood upon his feet, receiving his strength." (Alma 22:22).

"I give unto you power that whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be sealed in heaven..." (Helaman 10:7).

"Blessed are the all pure in heart, for they shall see God." (3 Nephi 12:8).

"For thy Maker, thy Husband, the Lord of Hosts is his name..." (3 Nephi 22:5).

"...Beholding within the veil he saw the finger of Jesus..." (Ether 3:19).

"There were many whose faith was so exceedingly strong...who could not be kept from within the veil..." (Ether 12:19).

"I have seen Jesus, and...he hath talked with me face to face..."
(Ether 12:39).
"We cannot comment openly on these passages, nor shall we enter below into a discussion of the Endowment itself; but the Latter-day Saint who attends the Temple and understands its doctrines will readily recognize their relevance to modern Temple practice. They are especially important for us because they show that the Endowment was not created de novo during the last years of Joseph Smith's life, nor did it owe its initial inspiration to Smith's encounter with Masonry, but fitted perfectly into the plan for restoring the Gospel from the start." (Ancient Texts and Mormonism by Eugene Seaich)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

3rd Nephi 12 (as well as sermon on the mount) contains the first three promises of the temple and alludes to the fourth (shortly afterward they are living the law of consecration). Even the direction to answer with simply "yes" s when swearing oaths and at the conclusion He holds a prayer in the midst of a circle of heavenly host.